English Pre-Raphaelite Painter, 1849-1917
English painter. His father was a minor English painter working in Rome. Waterhouse entered the Royal Academy Schools in London in 1870. He exhibited at the Society of British Artists from 1872 and at the Royal Academy from 1874. From 1877 to the 1880s he regularly travelled abroad, particularly to Italy. In the early 1870s he had produced a few uncharacteristic Orientalist keepsake paintings, but most of his works in this period are scenes from ancient history or classical genre subjects, similar to the work of Lawrence Alma-Tadema (e.g. Consulting the Oracle, c. 1882; London, Tate). However, Waterhouse consistently painted on a larger scale than Alma-Tadema. His brushwork is bolder, his sunlight casts harsher shadows and his history paintings are more dramatic. Related Paintings of John William Waterhouse :. | In the Peristyle | The Enchanted Garden (mk41) | Animated Miranda | The Enchanted Garden | Miss Margaret Henderson (mk41) |
Related Artists:Gioacchino Assereto
(1600 - 28 June 1649) was an Italian painter of the early Baroque period, active in Genoa.
Gioacchino Assereto, David with the Head of Goliath.He initially apprenticed with Luciano Borzone and later Giovanni Andrea Ansaldo. He painted two vault frescoes in the church of Santissima Annunziata del Vastato: David and Abimelech and Santi Giovanni and Pietro healing the lame. He also shows the influence of Bernardo Strozzi, a tenebrism moderated by venetian coloristic effects and garbing the subjects in modern peasant garb, in paintings such as Moses obtaining water from the Rock (Prado Museum, Madrid). Orazio dee Ferrari may have worked with Assereto in Ansaldoes studio.
Paintings by Gioacchino Assereto can also be seen at the Detroit Institute of Art and the Museum of Fine Arts in Budapest,Hungary.
Italian High Renaissance Painter, ca.1480-1532Master of the Schotten Altarpiece
was a German painter, active in Nuremberg during the 14th and 15th centuries. His name is derived from an altarpiece dated to about 1390, which once stood in the church of St. Mary in Schotten. The altarpiece was dismantled in 1828.